Journey to The Cabin

Sharing our Adventures and Work at Double Dog Cabin! Vacation and Get-a-away Cabin for now . . . future retirement home!

Oh what a glorious morning . . . it is going to be a beautiful day!! Sun is shining, birds are singing and dogs are sleeping. ;-) This morning it was 65 at 8:30 when we moved out to the porch with our coffee.

After breakfast we all moved out to the porch. It was so funny; a very tiny bird was perched on the tree closest to the porch. It was making some strange noises and then it began its beautiful song. Guess he was just clearing his throat and warming up.

I moved the Hummingbird feeder to that tree. It was hanging from the porch, Duke was not happy with the hummingbirds coming so close to us. Now they can feed in peace and Duke doesn’t get upset.

After drinking our coffee, we began some yard work. Max took the weedeater out again. Focusing on the unfinished parts of the front yard and then moving to the side yard. I started pulling the weeds in the fill dirt area. All kinds of seeds were in that dirt. Thankfully they were easy to pull out, if I don’t get them all this time, the roots are going to make it harder later on. I only came across two such weeds. Figure if I work on it a little each morning, I’ll have it all finished by the end of the week.

After pulling weeds and spending a bit more time on the porch relaxing, I came in to finish cleaning up the kitchen. Max moved to his ham radio station. Then a little computer/internet time for me. Dogs were sleeping, until lunch time.


Storm clouds are moving in along with the thunder.

We finished the lattice and landscape timbers on the north side of the cabin. There were several miss-steps but got the job done. Placed the landscape timber and screwed the lattice on one section of the Eastside.

Had a pretty good downpour late afternoon/early evening.

Later that night we went out to view the meteor shower. I got to try out the Hammock for the first time. What a pleasure, gently swinging and stargazing. We didn’t see that many meteors.

Max set the alarm for around 2:30 am so we could get up and check again, during what was supposed to be the peak time. We spent about an hour out enjoying the still, coolness of the night and watching the show from above. Dogs came out to the porch and looked at us like . . . *what are you two doing?* They finally came down and did some sniffing in the new weed free area of the yard. Then went back into the cabin they went, having had enough of the wee hour interruption.