When we arrived in Ft. Davis we were greeted with snow! By the time we reach the cabin, there was a good bit of coverage and the dogs had a blast running around the fenced area. They both love the snow and of course after a 9 hour drive with only one break, they were ready to play.
We weren’t expecting the snow, just a 30% chance of rain. Think it took everyone by surprise. By Christmas Eve I think most of Texas had snow and parts of the interstate were closed at times. So thankful we drove down Wednesday and not Thursday.
Needless to say Thursday was spent mostly in the cabin relaxing. Max did take the dogs for a walk without me since I was a little under the weather. Christmas was another day much like Thursday for everyone here. Glad to be at the cabin, even if we were missing the first real white Christmas in Dallas in about 80 years.
Saturday morning around 2 am, Max got up to do some stargazing. Stayed out for about three hours and saw things he hadn’t seen before. So it was well worth setting the alarm and getting up at peak stargazing time.
Saturday, I was feeling much better and ready to get out of the cabin with Max and the Dogs. But that had to wait awhile. Max was sleeping soundly after his early morning stargazing and Duke was right there beside him snoring away. Speaking of snoring away, Ginger was cuddled up next to me on the couch while I was reading and searching the internet.
When we did venture out on our hike, we took the path Max and the Dogs took the day before. I saw places I had never seen before. Max had been letting the dogs explore off lead while on our land and they did a very good job of coming when called. They were having a blast. I was very thankful for my walking stick, really helped over the rocky and rough terrain. The dogs were like mountain goats, nothing seemed to faze them. I learned to follow Ginger; she found the path of least resistance, usually a deer or some kind of animal trail. They were so happy to be free to wonder about.
Sunday, Max got up a bit before 4:30 am and stayed out until a little before 7 am. Just in time for Ginger to get up and want to be fed. We all stayed up for awhile, then the guys went back to bed. Ginger and I cuddled on the couch. After a few hours we headed back to the bedroom for a short mid-morning nap.
We took another hike, this time a bit longer and crossed over the little dry creek bed onto the Conservatory Land. Ginger decided she needed a different kind of food and ate some Donkey Poo! Yes, lovely!
On the way back to the cabin, both dogs were very interested in a certain area; all of a sudden we heard the wings of a big bird flapping and both dogs high tailing after it. It was a beautiful sight . . . no they didn't catch the bird but they were happy anyway. I did get some good action shots of the dogs running today.
Sunday afternoon, Max and I cleaned the cabin and packed everything except a few last minute items. It will be sad to leave, more so than usual. We all really enjoyed exploring the land and spending time together. But they are expecting snow again Monday night and Tuesday, so everything works out for the best.