Journey to The Cabin

Sharing our Adventures and Work at Double Dog Cabin! Vacation and Get-a-away Cabin for now . . . future retirement home!

Wednesday
A much warmer day. After getting up at 7 am to let the dogs out and feed them, Ginger and I curled on the sofa and went back to sleep. Duke returned to the bed with Max.Max as able to get a second coat of the protective coating on the South wall of the Cabin. While he was at it he also sprayed the inside of the porch area. It all looks so nice.While he was out doing that, I was inside cleaning. Moving furniture to clean the floors and other tidying up things. We rescued another lizard from the Bathroom trash. This one wasn’t as large as Monday’s, but still a good size.

After lunch, Max made another trip to the Dumpster. While moving things around on the porch, we decided there were some things we no longer needed to keep around.I started sanding the big dark rocker. Ran out of sanding disc for the sander and the ones I purchased Monday were stick-on, not the Velcro type. So I took old used ones and glued the stick-on to them. Hopefully that will work and I’ll be able to finish sanding the rocker by the time we leave.

While I was sanding, our neighbors dropped by. We barely know them, but they stopped to see if we had plans for tomorrow. They knew we didn’t have family in Ft. Davis. I thought that was very nice of them.

Made Gingerbread this afternoon. Max took the dogs for a walk while I folded laundry from yesterday.

Max made some good contacts on his Ham Radio while we have been here this time. He is completely set up inside now. Just in time, because the weather had turned cool and sometimes downright cold. It is only late November.

Thursday
Loaded the dogs up and through the woods *our land* and over the river *Pecos River* to the O’Neal house we went.

Thanksgiving dinner was wonderful. As I told Max, I was in food heaven today, mostly for the 1st 4 items. Turkey, My Mom’s dressing; Mashed Potatoes with Noodles, Homemade Bread, Green Beans, and Brussels sprouts, there were other things on the table that I didn’t eat. Then later in the day Lemon Pie!!!!!
We visited; Football was on the TV, Farmtown and Farmville were on the computer. The dogs were running around like crazy, at least Duke and Ginger were a new backyard to explore. Poor Charlie didn’t really know what to do. It was a really good day, just too short. And we missed all the family members who weren’t there with us. Next year has got to be different; we all need to be together.

FRIDAY
I did some more sanding on the rocking chair. Sanded as much as I could with the electric sander, then hand sanded until I ran out of sandpaper. So guess it will have to be something to finish on the next trip.
We took the dogs for a walk in the afternoon before their dinner. Guess Duke was hungry; he ate a biscuit of mule poop. The rest of the evening they were sleeping like logs. After the active Thanksgiving Day and a long walk, they were tired.Max spent time on his radio and telescope. So basically we had a run of the mill average day at the cabin.

SATURDAY
Max got up around 5 or 5:30 am to look through the telescope. Which he did until the sun came up. He made the comment that even with the Sun coming up; he saw more stars here than he does on a good night in Plano.
Other than that, it was a pretty normal cabin day. Excellent weather.
Since I couldn’t finish the rocking chair, I painted the wood table we have on the porch. Max finished up his weed eating. Radio and Telescope for Max. We both did some tidying up, getting things ready for our return trip to Plano tomorrow morning.

Walked with the dogs. Duke did an excellent job of flushing a ton of birds out of some bushes. He was very pleased and on high alert the rest of the walk. I love that boy! By the time we get halfway back, Ginger is walking pretty slowly, so we take the lead off her and let her walk back by herself. For some reason today she decided to increase the pace. She led the way back to the cabin. She was very happy to be the leader. We saw that beautiful Ginger smile. I love that girl!!!