I have discovered that the more I learn, the more I don’t know about vegetable gardening. I said this year would be a learning experience and it has been.
Everything was going crazy . . . . Had tomatoes and peppers like crazy. The squash plant was one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen in a garden . . . loaded with tons of blooms and baby squash growing.
Then my first lesson was about to be learned. Something got a hold of my squash plant at the stem near the soil. Few days later that plant was dead. After doing some online research, I discovered planting radishes around the squash plant would be good.
Only one potato vine made it from the 4 seed potatoes that were planted. Only time will tell if we have actual potatoes.
The heat began to take its tow on the tomato plants. And from what I learned a couple of the plants were suffering from Blight.
Not about to give up, I purchased seeds to plant some more squash.
Added a vine green bean and a bush green bean along with some Clemson Spineless Okra. Looking forward to pickling some okra. I know Max doesn’t like it, but I do! Purchased another tomato plant and a few more herbs.
Two weeks before our July Trip to the Cabin, I worked on a mini sprinkler system for each section of the garden. They are set up on a timer to water some in the morning and late evening. After a few trial and errors, it was ready and working well. Checked it every day for a week before we left, adjusting as needed.
I took the pictures below earlier this week. I am happy to say things are going well so far.
Nothing seems to be getting to the plants, knock on wood. While we were gone, some slugs did get the two bell peppers, but they have now been taken care of.
The green beans, okra, squash and radishes are going like crazy. The all the herbs are doing well.
The Fennel and Basil finally co-exist in the one planter. For awhile there I was wondering which one was going to take over. Now all is well.
The Bell Pepper and Jalapeño Pepper plants are producing like crazy again.
The first tomato plants seem to have decided not to give up. A lot of new growth. The newer plant is doing well, several blooms now appearing.
Another lesson learned. Plant only one plant in each container, regardless of what I read saying otherwise. The two pepper plants are doing okay, but I think it would be better to be in separate planters. While the fennel and basil are doing well now, I’m sure each would have liked more room.
Need to research more on companion planting. Since the radishes seem to be doing a good job being next to the squash.
Even with a few disappointments, it has been so nice stepping out to the back yard for fresh bell peppers, jalapenos, and tomatoes. And as in years past, clipping basil, tarragon and thyme for cooking is always a delight.
Keeping my fingers crossed the plants in the garden will continue to do well.
The second plantings are in the white containers. Decided to try some deeper containers to see if it made a difference.
