As I’m sitting here on Wednesday evening wondering where the time has gone; Duke and Ginger are here with me in the cabin living room. They both have deer antlers that they are chewing on. Max is on the porch with his ham radio.
We left Plano on Saturday around 9 am and arrived at the cabin shortly after 7 pm. It was a long day. Hauling a trailer and two dogs. Multiply stops for lunch, fuel and necessities stops.
As we were going through Pecos it was 102 degrees, 88 degrees in Ft. Davis and a cool 82 at the cabin.
After Duke finished chasing and playing with a moth, he curled up and went to sleep. They were both exhausted. Ginger doesn't get much rest on the ride down here. Duke is always moving about like a crazy dog, doesn't want to miss anything. So she keeps moving to get out of his way. And the space isn't that big to begin with. Thank goodness for pet barriers in the car. Worked great and kept them safe.
Sprinkled Lavender and Spearmint where it looks like the mice like to party at night on the porch. Hope it keeps them away. Don't want Duke catching one and bringing it inside. :)
After the long day Saturday, I sooo wanted to stay in bed. But Ginger has other plans. She did her 7 am I'm hungry and want to be fed NOW dance. Then there was too much to check out and she didn't want to be alone. So after two cups of coffee, I was awake and enjoying the Sunday morning. :)
Sunday was a beautiful day. Moved the stove in. While Max was busy hooking it up, I cleaned the porch area. After lunch we worked on putting the lattice on the front of the house. Won't do much good having a fence if the dogs can run under the house. Wonderful cool breezes off and on all day. Late afternoon we heard thunder in the distance.
Well, I know my dogs will take care of me as best they can, if something happens to me. I cut my finger while slicing some peaches. Using a new knife, not pretty. Anyway, as soon as I realized what I had done, I must have gasped because Duke came running out of the bedroom to my side. I called for Max who was out on the porch. When he didn't come, Ginger went to the door and barked at him. I love my dogs. :-)
Thank goodness, Max had a first aid kit that I bought him in the car. Needed those butterfly band-aids. Sadly we are better prepared if something happens to the dogs then we are for ourselves. That will change now. =:-0 If we had been in Plano I might have considered going to the ER, but out here is a different story. The finger is healing just fine. However, this was a wakeup call so to speak. We will be taking some first aid courses and be better stocked with bandages, meds, etc.
Monday morning I was sitting in one of our porch rocking chairs . . . listening to the birds sing & the coyotes call in the distance. Their call echoes through the canyon. Duke was by my side, head poking through the rails, at attention & very interested. Ginger, our brave one, soon joined us and she began her warning bark. I must admit, her bark is pretty amazing echoing through the canyon. Hmmm…the coyotes have soon stopped. Don’t know that it had anything to do with Ginger, but she thought so and looked pretty pleased with herself.
Monday was spent returning the trailer to Alpine, which takes up at least ½ the day. We stopped at McCoy’s and picked up some misc. items we needed. Then to the Food Basket for things like milk, eggs, etc.
As we drove onto our land, we saw two quail running across our driveway.
After a late lunch we decided where we wanted to put the fence and measured off the distance.
That night we had several downpours of rain.
Tuesday, Max began digging the holes for the 5 wood posts for the fence. This took all day not only because of all the rocks he encountered but also because of the rain. It came in waves, each bring downpours. Finished the day by being able to pour the concert around the two being used for the gate.
Wednesday morning we started working on the fence. Set the other three posts. Measured the proper distance for the T-Posts and lined them up. While Max pounded them into the ground, I worked in the area in front of the cabin porch. There are so many rocks that just a tiny tip is sticking out and I’m always stumbling over them. In most cases they are huge rocks. I dug all the rocks out of that area. It now looks like a gopher has been there. We will bring some fill dirt/gravel next time we come to fill the holes. All the rain made it much easier to dig the rocks out. I used them to put at the bottom of the lattice we put up on Sunday.
By then Max was ready to begin putting up the field fencing. We got about one third of one side done before finishing for the day. We spotted a baby horny toad not too far from where we were working on the fence. It was about the size of a nickel. It was soooo cute. I was very happy to see it. They were so abundant when I was growing up and one doesn't see them near as much anymore.
It was a long day of hard work. I was exhausted, but it felt so good.
Connie and Calvin are on their way down here. They will spend a couple of nights at the RV Park in the resort area. It will be nice to spend time with them. We will see them in the morning.
I don’t have the software loaded on the laptop for the camera. So the pictures will be loaded when we get back home.