Journey to The Cabin

Sharing our Adventures and Work at Double Dog Cabin! Vacation and Get-a-away Cabin for now . . . future retirement home!

Saturday, September 19, 2009

After another long day of driving to the cabin, we were all happy to finally get here. I drove some with the trailer. Returning home last time was my first time to drive with the trailer and I felt pretty confident in doing so.

Max and I were happy to see the weeds didn’t come back. The last full day of our August trip was spent mostly pulling weeds and taking them to the brush pile. There are some stickers that need to be removed. Ginger seems to find them every time she goes out.

After visiting the brush pile last time, we made a quick trip to the country store to get some cold drinks that we had run out of at the cabin. The lady there was telling us she was a full timer and living her dream. So refreshing to hear that the people we have met out here are so happy to be here.

While Max was unloading the vehicle and trailer, I was unloading the boxes inside. Ginger decided to do some exploring. Max found her just on the other side of the fence, over the drain field sniffing around. Duke was standing by the gate, like a good boy. Knew he wasn’t supposed to walk through the gate until he had permission.


Once we finished uploading the vehicle and trailer, Max went about setting up his ham radio operation and testing the small radio he put together back in Plano. I put things up in the cabin, along with setting everything from the living room that belonged out on the porch out. I purchased an orange and white outdoor rug for the sitting area by Max’s radio table. It really looks nice. I’ll take pictures before we leave. We also have a new rug outside the French doors to hopefully help keep a lot of the dirt outside and not on the cabin floor.

Got the indoor table for Max’s Winter Radio Setup put together. It was a simple IKEA desk top. I looked on Craig’s list for something, but couldn’t find anything that would fit the area that didn’t cost an arm and a leg. Now the boxed radio equipment can be placed on that table instead of the couch when we leave each time.


Max was very pleased that I actually cooked on our first night out here. Usually, I’m so tired I don’t feel like cooking and we have cereal or sandwiches. I had fresh pasta from the store and frozen pasta sauce from one of my marathon cooking spree back home. Then tossed some bread to heat in the oven. Much better than our usually first night dinner.

After dinner we checked out internet connection and found that there was no internet connection. So we weren’t able to call or email the folks to let them know we made it okay.

Soon afterwards I went to bed and Max went out stargazing. I did, at Max’s suggestion, go outside and view the night sky before getting ready for bed. I wonder if I will ever lose the feeling of awe of seeing such dark skies and billions of bright stars. I hope not.

Ginger seemed unsure of which crate to go into. She finally decided and spent the rest of the night there sleeping.

As expected, Duke climbed on the bed, after much debate. He couldn’t decide whether to go outside with Max, stay on the couch a good between spot from the two of us, or enjoy the comfy bed. The comfy bed won out and he made sure his back was pressed against my legs. Guess he wanted to know if I decided to get out of bed. Which I have done when Max has told me there was something spectacular to see in the telescope. But not tonight. I only got one page read in my book; before I couldn’t keep my eyes open another minute.

We left the windows open and the cool air makes for wonderful sleeping conditions.